Azure Synapse Analytics is an evolution of Azure SQL Data Warehouse. Azure SQL Data Warehouse was a massively parallel processing (MPP) cloud-based, scale-out, relational database, designed to process and store large volumes of data within the Microsoft Azure cloud platform. At its core, Azure Synapse contains the MPP, scale-out technology of Azure SQL Data Warehouse (referred to as Synapse SQL pool).
Azure Synapse Analytics is a cloud-based multi-node relational database service enabling insights at petabyte scale. Azure Synapse is a limitless analytics service that brings together enterprise data warehousing and Big Data analytics. It gives you the freedom to query data on your terms, using either server less on-demand or provisioned resources—at scale.
With a multitude of advanced technologies at its disposal, Azure Synapse Analytics offers a unified experience to store, analyse, and drive actionable insights from your enterprise data. Azure Synapse brings these two worlds together with a unified experience to ingest, prepare, manage, and serve data for immediate BI and machine learning needs. Synapse also taps into a wide variety of other Microsoft services, including Power BI and Azure Machine Learning, as well as a partner ecosystem that includes Databricks, Informatica, Accenture, Panoply, Talend, Attunity, Pragmatic Works and Adatis. It’s also integrated with Apache Spark.
It is the first service of its kind to bring multiple technologies together into one unified experience to reduce time to market, increase development efficiencies, and knock down silos between teams. End-to-end development starting from data ingestion, to cleansing, and all the way through to visualizations can be completed in one user interface
Azure Synapse Analytics helps users better manage costs by separating computation and storage of their data. Users can pause the service, releasing the compute resources back into Azure. While paused, users are only charged for the storage currently in use (roughly $125 USD/Month/Terabyte).
Why Synapse Analytics?
Performing advanced analytics on the cloud has been around for a while now but that involves deploying complex architecture with a lot of services such as Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks. This overall deployment leads to unnecessary complexity in your architecture. Azure Synapse brings the capabilities of all these services into one single platform thereby making it a one-stop shop for all your analytics.
- Limitless Scale
- Powerful Insights
- Unified Experience
- Instant Clarity
- Unmatched Security
Key Service Capabilities
- Enterprise data warehousing
– Build your data warehouse on the proven foundation of the industry’s top-performing SQL engine.
- Deeply integrated Apache Spark and SQL engines
– Enhance collaboration among data professionals working on advanced analytics solutions. Easily use T-SQL queries on both your data warehouse and embedded Spark engine.
- Data lake exploration
– Bring together relational and non-relational data, and easily query files in the data lake with the same service you use to build data warehousing solutions.
- Streaming ingestion & analytics
– Perform real-time analytics on streaming data directly in your data warehouse.
- Choice of language
– Use your preferred language, including T-SQL, Python, Scala, Spark SQL, and .Net—whether you use server less or provisioned compute resources.
- Integrated AI and BI
– Complete your end-to-end analytics solution with in-deep integration of Azure Machine Learning and Power BI.Azure Synapse Analytics leverages Azure Data Lake Storage as the building blocks of storing and ingesting your data into the data warehouse. Combining the existing capabilities from Azure SQL Data Warehouse with the ability to run both Spark and SQL in clustered and server less form factors enables both data science and data engineering workloads. This helps bridge the gap between data scientists and data engineers. By providing the capabilities to support both data engineering and data science activities in one tool, Azure Synapse Analytics helps break down team silos by providing one unified experience for collaboration. The integration, management, monitoring, and security capabilities are unparalleled in the market, providing a streamlined end-user experience.
How do you create an Azure Synapse workspace?
Creating a workspace in Azure Synapse only takes a few steps:
- If you don’t already have an Azure subscription, create an account
- Create an Azure Storage account; enable hierarchical namespace during configuration
- Register Azure resource provider by choosing Microsoft.Synapse from the resource provider list when you register
- Sign into the Azure Portal
- In the Microsoft Azure search pane, enter Synapse workspace and then select this service
- On the Synapse workspaces page, click + Add
- Fill out the Azure Synapse workspace form with:
- Subscription · A resource group
- A name for your workspace
- The region
- Details about your Azure Storage account, namely your storage account name and a root file system that you want to use
- (optional) Modify any of the Security + networking defaults tab
- (optional) Add any tags to the Tags tab
- The Summary tab will run any necessary validations to ensure that the workspace can be successfully created. Once the validation succeeds, click Create
- Once the resource provisioning process is completed successfully, you’ll see the created workspace in the list of Synapse workspaces.
Smart contracts can be defined as Blockchain-based computer protocols which are virtual versions of regular contracts and are coded with predefined conditions. Smart contracts aim to offer high security while reducing transaction costs associated with conventional methods traits that make them favorable alternatives to regular contracts.
Experience limitless scale and query data on your terms
Azure Synapse delivers insights from all your data, across data warehouses and big data analytics systems, with blazing speed. With Azure Synapse, data professionals can query both relational and non-relational data at petabyte-scale using the familiar SQL language. For mission-critical workloads, they can easily optimize the performance of all queries with intelligent workload management, workload isolation, and limitless concurrency
Discover powerful insights across your most important data
With Azure Synapse, enabling BI and machine learning is a breeze. It is deeply integrated with Power BI and Azure Machine Learning to greatly expand discovery of insights from all your data and apply machine learning models to all your intelligent apps. Significantly reduce project development time for BI and machine learning projects with a limitless analytics service that enables you to seamlessly apply intelligence over all your most important data from Dynamics 365, Office 365 to SaaS services that support Open Data Initiative and easily share data with just a few clicks